Below are links and excerpts to some of the stories that I found. This list is not complete but it does give a sample of the stories that are available if you look for them:
Originally Sony said it was going to ship 400,000 unit to the US in 2006, then changed its story and cut the supply in half. This caused major havoc in the supply chain.
- Only 200,000 PS3s shipped in the US by the end of 2006 (400,000 were originally supposed to ship to the US)
- PS3 Fight Shutdown Wal-Mart (PS3 buyers got angry when told to wait outside, and they trashed the store.)
- Fighting in the Streets (Long lines and hot tempers cause fights to get started.)
Its seems like some of the new PS3 systems that were shipped were DOA (Dead on Arrival), or had some failing parts. I wonder if Sony will have enough systems replace the failed units in a timely manor?
New PS3s have been selling for thousands of dollars on eBay buy people trying to make a quick profit on these systems. Some of the scams are almost funny, but like anything its buyer beware. Remember: make sure that you carefully read the description on any eBay sales, its basically a contract between you and the seller.
- Example 1: Someone buys 3 original PlayStations (NOT three PlayStation 3's) for USD$900 dollars. No Controllers or Games included.
- Example 2: Someone paid USD$1100 to buy the contact information of someone who might be selling a PS3.
- Example 3: Someone bought a picture of the PS3 for $840 Canadian dollars.
Both buyers and sellers could have lost more then their PS3s, they could have lost their lives. Its amazing what people will steal, or do if they can make any money off of it.
- PlayStation 3 Seller Attacked (Man sells PS3 at McDonald's at 1am in the morning, and gets robbed.)
- Get shot for your PS3 (Two armed thieves robbed people waiting to buy the new PS3)
- Store Robbed of five PS3s (Two armed men robbed an EB Games store of PS3s )
Below are just strange stories about people trying to buy PS3s, and some of the lengths they went to. Some of these stories are just craziness in my opinion humble opinion.
- Hiring Homeless To Wait in Line for PS3 (These men were paid $100 a day to stand in line for a ticket for the PS3)
- Dentist hires 60 people to wait in line to buy PS3s for him (Why wait, when you can pay people to do that for you.)
- Smash My PlayStation 3 (They bought the PS3 and smashed it in front of a people standing in line for it. I can think of much better uses for +$600).