Tuesday, June 20, 2006

iDon't.com (Are you an iSheep)

I recently came across a site called iDon't.com, which is a site that mocks iPod owners. Then asks if iPod owners are sheep? The iDon't.com site is a really viral ad Web marketing campaign launched by SanDisk few weeks ago. SanDisk's is using the site to promote its Sansa flash drive player.

Personally I don't own an iPod, and I hope and pray I never do. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing technically or aesthetically wrong with the device. I am just not crazy about the cult following they have or the DRM (digital rights management) encoded music it uses. I know people who have spend thousands of dollars to download this DRM encoded music and load it on to these devices.

Personally, give me a legal copy of a CD any day. I prefer the format, its more portable from device to device then any DRM format. I can also play it in my home stereo, computer, car stereo, or portable CD player. Then 10 years from now, I will still be able to play it (granted that the media last that long, and its not all scratched up).

I also want to state I am not against DRM encoded media. As I have always said that I believe that an artist and their publisher has its right to protect their investment. But I as a consumer have the right to choose the format I want to access my media in.

Although If I am going to use a DRM-based media format, I will use the Windows Media format primarily because I believe its just as good as iTunes and its supported by several different devices.

No comments: