Thursday, November 25, 2004

Anti-Spyware Test (Guide)

Most adware/spyware detection and removal tools today, are failing to detect and remove these parasites. These parasitic programs are growing in number, complexity, and sophisitication everyday.

Researcher Eric Howes a graduate student at the University of Illinois has recently issued failing grades on all anti-spyware scanners he tested during a two-week stretch in October. Eric Howes found that the best-performing anti-spyware scanner failed to detect about 25 percent of the "critical" files and registry entries installed by these malicious programs.

In my own unscientific test Last night, I scaned my wife's mother computer with PestScan.com (Pest Patrol owns the web site). It found 80 parasites, it first used Spybot Search and Destroy which found some ad tracking cookies. Then I used the freeware version of Adaware, and it found some more cookies and some parasites. Then I reran PestScan.com, and I still found problems.

No comments: