Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Star Wars Kid

You may seen or heard about the 'Star Wars Kid' videos that have been circulating around the Internet these last few months. They're the about as popular as the 'dancing baby' videos that circulated a few years earlier.

If you have not seen or heard of these videos, they contain video footage of an overweight teenage boy that was trying to mimic the fighting moves of the Jedi knights from the recent Star Wars movies. Although, he is not very graceful; I am not sure if I could do a better job trying these moves myself.

I have to admit when I first saw the videos I thought they were funny. I was also amused how people took this video made short Star Wars and Matrix trails from them.

Then after I read the following article in Wired, I did not find it funny anymore:

Whether you think these videos are funny, or you find them demoralizing this is you to decide. The facts are: these videos were NOT made with this person's permission, and this is a real person who was humiliated by these videos.

I feel the tone of this post comes across like I have an agenda to condemn these videos. I am trying to keep this post as un-bias as I possibly can without avoiding the facts of the matter. I won't say that I approve them, but I think it important that you draw your own conclusions.

No comments: