Friday, February 19, 2010

Thought of the day: Cliques and Social media web sites

As Americans we tend to isolate ourselves into our little cliques (friends/family). For example, do you know your neighbors (I know a few will say they do)? Also personal technologies (like music player) cause us to isolate even more. Although, social media web sites like Facebook are very fascinating because they enforce/break cliques apart.

I have a fascination with Facebook. Not because any of the technologies of the web site. Its real power comes from its users/community. It has allowed me to connect with long lost friends that I have not seen in a long time, it has also allowed me to connect into social communities that I am interested in.

I was a late comer to this technology mostly because I didn't see it's real power. Although there is part of me wonders if this is nothing but another fad, and/or how long it might last?

No comments: